glossary of architectural terms

sash window < rotunda  |  skylight >  

A sash window is a style of window where there are one or more moveable glass panels which may be opened by sliding up or down.

The word 'sash' referes to the sash cord which goes over a pulley to a weight which counterbalances the window, thus enabling it to be opened/closed effortlessly.

search the library for "sash window"...

sash window sash window
sash window

<< back to glossary index